I’ve been home for a few days, back from a month-long visit with my son and grandchildren. It was a good visit. I had intended to post while there, but never quite got around to it. I ended up sewing a lot though, which was a nice change of pace for me. I really enjoyed every minute of it!
I forgot to take my camera on most of my excursions. I also forgot to take the cord that connects my camera to my laptop so I couldn’t share the few photos I did take while there. I went to four different, wonderful quilt shops during this visit. Next time, I’ll visit them again and take photos of all of them!
I had planned to do quite a bit of quilt repair for my son while there. They have loved their quilts just about to death! You know what they say about the best laid plans. I did do the repair on the flannel quilt that I had made for my son before he was sent to Italy early in his military career. It had two small holes in the blue. I didn’t have any of the same flannel left, so I bought a bit of blue while out exploring the area quilt shops. I wasn’t going for quilt restoration, just honest repair, so it’s fine that the color is slightly different and you can tell it’s been repaired. The plaid is the back of the quilt. It has two large red stripes with one large white stripe in the center, topped with three large white six pointed stars on a field of blue. I matched the binding up to the colors of the quilt. Where there is blue, there is blue binding and the same with the red and white. I was quite proud of that multi fabric, multi color binding matching up along the quilt edges.
Another quilt that needed help was a patriotic quilt I had made for my dad. My son inherited the quilt about 19 years ago, when my father passed. It’s a pretty long quilt and almost the whole bottom row is badly worn, probably from being tucked under a mattress. The binding was also worn out. I had some of the fabrics left from making the quilt. I also bought a few more patriotic prints while visiting the quilt shops to supplement the few I had. Half of the blocks are “string” pieces, so there are a lot of different ones needed for each block repair. I did take off the binding and I’ll replace it with a different fabric when the block repair is done, but that’s as far as I got on this one so far. I left the fabrics at my son’s house, so I can hop right on it when I visit again.
It was interesting to see how much my quilting has improved since making this one! For one thing, this quilt had a very wide binding! Most quilt bindings have about 1/4″ showing on the front and back of the quilt. I think this one had about two inches! I can’t recall why I added such a wide binding. I guess I’ll have to add one roughly the same size when I replace it. I’m also debating the repair on the large triangles. Don’t know if I’ll repair only the worn areas or the whole triangle. So much to decide!